Monday, June 29, 2015

Journal Monday June 29th I believe in forgiveness

I believe in second chances and forgiveness. I believe that people make mistakes in life, and I believe sometimes you have to mess up to actually learn your lesson. I believe there has been so many times in my life I have done something wrong and learned from the mistake and there has been times where it has taken me more than once to learn a lesson. Humans are not perfect, and sometimes people expect them to be. Why is that? 

From research and past experience, forgiveness for humans is so hard because we are so stubborn. When a person is hurt or let down by someone they trust, their pride and self-esteem are injured. The expectations or dreams you had for that person are let down, they disappointed you, and you feel like you gave away trust which can be very hard.

But when you think about losing someone in your life you’ve known forever over one time of lost trust, you have to think if it really is worth it.
As hard as it is to give, forgiveness is such an important thing. It has the power to mend relationships and heal a broken heart. It’s needed on both ends of a situation. The one who is in need of forgiveness likely has a heavy heart about it and feels a tremendous amount of guilt. They have to set aside their pride and apologize for what they’ve done wrong. At this point, the ball is in the court of the one needing to forgive. It is a choice and there are unforgiveable acts, but in most cases a little time will lead to forgiveness.  And I believe in forgiveness.
If forgiveness wasn’t such a powerful thing, God would not offer that up for us. As a catholic we have confession to ask for forgiveness of our sins. If the high power above can forgive us for anything and still welcome us into his kingdom, how could we as humans not allow someone back into our life’s after a mistake?

I’ve always grown up in a house of forgiveness where my family has loved me unconditionally no matter what, and had to forgive me for many stupid things I’ve done as teenager or did as a child. When I was going through my rebellious teenage stage, I remember a fight my mom and I got into. This is a day I am not proud of, but unfortunately remember very well. I was so angry at my mom because she wouldn’t let me go do what I wanted to do and she had taken my phone away. I was so mad at her I said, “I hate you and you’re the worst mom in the world!”  Of course I didn’t mean it but I was angry, and I had never felt so terrible in my life. My mom really is the best mom in the world, anytime I ever need her she’s there with advice or a helping hand. I don’t know what I would do without her! I love my mom and even though I hurt her with some hard words she still forgave me right away and still continued to be right my side no matter what.  Life has been a crazy journey for me, but never once has my family given up on me and I would never turn my back on them. 


The act of forgiveness is so powerful that it can destroy relationships completely or make them as strong as they’ve ever been. We shouldn’t take it for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment